- Do you operate a marketplace where sellers offer their products or services to customers?
- Do you act as an ‘intermediary’ for customers and sellers without yourself selling the products or services?
- Are the customer payments being routed between multiple parties?
In any of the above cases, you need to use our marketplace solution, in order to comply with PSD2. Customer payments are processed by Viva Wallet, which are in turn paid to the marketplace owner and the sellers through a platform account. It is a great solution for marketplace owners who need an efficient way to handle commission fees and seller payouts, while offering a multitude of payment methods and additional features to their customers.
On this page:
The Viva Wallet marketplace solution comprises four elements:
- Platform account: a ‘holding’ account between sellers and marketplace owner; this is the account where the funds from customer purchases will initially be paid into.
- Marketplace owner: the entity receiving the commission fees.
- Sellers: the entities receiving the seller payouts.
- Customer: the one making the purchases.
With the Viva Wallet marketplace solution you can:
- Accept payments from customers who can purchase items from different sellers and include them all in one order; the customer payments are processed by Viva Wallet and held in the platform account.
- Transfer the payouts from the platform account to the sellers.
- Transfer the commission fees from the platform account to the marketplace owner.
To use the Viva Wallet marketplace solution you need to:
Onboard marketplace owners and sellers
Prior to the below steps, we strongly recommend that you initially set up and test payment flows between a test platform account, a test marketplace owner, and a test seller in the demo environment, in order to make sure that the payout and refund flows are functioning properly before moving further with the implementation of a fully-fledged marketplace.
Here is a summary of the steps:
- The marketplace owner registers with Viva Wallet to function as a marketplace.
- Viva Wallet creates the platform account associated with the marketplace.
- Each seller registers with Viva Wallet to function as a seller for the marketplace. Note that a seller will not be able to receive any payouts until they are fully onboarded.
Accept payments from customers
Integrate with Smart Checkout so you can accept customer payments into the platform account.
Transfer payouts to sellers and commission fees to marketplace owner
For transfers from the platform account to the marketplace owner and the sellers, use the balance transfer API call.
Please also refer to the relevant tutorial Transfer fees and payouts (marketplace).
To perform a refund, you would need to return funds from the sellers to the platform account using the Obligations API,return funds from the marketplace owner to the platform account using the balance transfer API, and return funds to the customer using the Cancel transaction API from the platform account.
Please also refer to the relevant tutorial Refund purchase (marketplace).
Depending on your business model, you may want to charge a subscription fee to your sellers. In such a case, you would need to use the Obligations API to charge the necessary subscription fee, in order to move funds from the sellers to the marketplace owner.
Ready to go?
Complete and submit an online contact form with a summary of your requirements. The Viva Wallet sales team will review your request and get back to you as soon as possible.
Check out the related tutorials below for more details that may be relevant:
- Enable basic auth
- Enable OAuth 2 authentication
- Create a payment order (Smart Checkout)
- Create a recurring payment (Smart Checkout)
- Verify a payment
- Set webhook to confirm payment
- Transfer fees and payouts (marketplace)
- Refund purchase (marketplace)
If you have any questions about our solutions, or questions about how to integrate with our solutions, please refer to our Get Support page.