SEPA Direct Debit
Information on the SEPA Direct Debit payment method.
- User Experience
- How to activate SEPA Direct Debit
- Payment method messaging
- Get Support
This payment method allows merchants in Euro/SEPA countries to be paid through a direct debit initiation. The customer gives the agreement to the merchant to automatically debit funds from his personal bank account. Merchants can add this method on Smart Checkout and receive payments from customers with valid SEPA IBANs from banks participating in SEPA.
Some of the main benefits of offering SEPA Direct Debit as a payment method are:
- Easy to use: There is no need for the users to carry credit or debit cards. Buyers can quickly pay by entering a valid IBAN
- Availability: SEPA Direct Debit is available in a wide range of European countries
At the checkout, the customer selects SEPA Direct Debit as their preferred payment method, before filling in:
- Their email address
- Their name
- Their IBAN account number
The customer then clicks the ‘Confirm mandate […]’ button. If the IBAN is valid, the payment information is sent to the customer’s bank:
Please also see our video below, outlining the use of SEPA Direct Debit.
- How to activate: Please refer to the How to activate section below
- Payment method type: Asynchronous - payments are not confirmed immediately, the confirmation of payment occurs when the funds arrive, which is around 1 business day for Greece, and up to 5 business days for other countries. You need to set up webhooks in order to get notified for asynchronous payments
- Refunds: Supports partial and full refunds
- Recurring payments: Not yet supported
- Pre-authorizations: Not yet supported
- Restricted MCC: All Merchant Categories are eligible to have SEPA Direct Debit activated
- Μerchant countries: Available for merchants registered in Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal & Spain
- Customer countries: Available to customers with valid SEPA IBANs from bank accounts that support SEPA Direct Debit
- Pricing: Please refer to our pricing page under the main navigation for more information
- Settlement: Customer payments are deposited next day into your business account for confirmed payments / successful transactions (i.e. have statusId = F)
- Cross-currency payments: Not yet supported
How to activate SEPA Direct Debit
|Production||If you wish to activate this payment method, please contact your Viva Wallet sales representative. Alternatively, you can contact us directly via our live chat facility, by simply clicking on the live chat icon in the bottom right-hand corner of this page.|
|Demo||This payment method is unavailable on demo environment.|
Payment method messaging
It is important that the customer is aware of the payment methods you offer via Smart Checkout, as this will increase conversion and average order values. Please see our payment method messaging guide for more details on why and where we would recommend adding this information to your site.
If desired, you can download and use this icon on your site or online store, in order to show customers you offer SEPA Direct Debit as a payment method:
If you would like to integrate with Viva Wallet, or if you have any queries about our products and solutions, please see our Contact & Support page to see how we can help!