Information on the MB WAY payment method.
- User Experience
- How to activate MB WAY
- Payment method messaging
- Get Support
MB WAY is a Portuguese interbank network. It is the largest interbank network in Portugal. It allows the customers of 21 participating banks (100% coverage in the Portuguese market) to transfer money. MB NET allows users to make payments through the Internet and it is set up for online shopping. The new method will be available in Card Not Present Transactions (eCommerce), from Smart Checkout Environment.
MB WAY is a payment method where the client inserts his mobile number (registered in MB WAY system with an MB Card) and receives a validation message to authorize the payment.
To pay in stores, customers use QR code.
- Market share: 45% market share of e-commerce transactions in Portugal, with 100% of Portuguese banking customers eligible to use MB WAY
- Large customer-base: Over 3.5 million customers make 9 million purchases each month
- Popularity: 57% of young adults use it for e-commerce purchases and 94% of MB WAY users always pay with MB WAY
- Flexibility: There is no need for the users to carry bank cards
- Easy to use: Consumers experience a seamless and secure experience
- Availability: MB WAY is available in a wide range of countries
- Get started quickly: There is no need for the merchant to have an account with MB WAY
At the online checkout, the customer selects MB WAY as their preferred payment method:
The customer is then notified that they must complete the transaction from within their MB WAY app:
Within the app, the payment should be listed within the My payments section:
The customer simply navigates to this section to see the payment and click on ACCEPT:
The customer can then select their preferred payment card before clicking on Accept purchase to complete the payment:
Merchants do not need to have an account with MB WAY. Customer must own a Portuguese Bank Account.
- How to activate: Please refer to the How to activate section below
- Payment method type: Asynchronous - payments are not confirmed immediately, it may take up to 4 minutes to receive confirmation of payment. You need to set up webhooks in order to get notified for asynchronous payments
- Refunds: Supports partial and full refunds
- Recurring payments: Not yet supported
- Pre-authorizations: Not yet supported
- Restricted MCC: None
- Μerchant countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain
- Customer countries: Portugal
- Pricing: Please refer to our pricing page under the main navigation for more information.
- Settlement: All settlement takes place next day for confirmed payments / successful transactions (i.e. have statusId = F)
- Cross-currency payments: Not yet supported
How to activate MB WAY
Merchants do not need to have an account with MB WAY
|Production||Activation of this payment method is instant. Once activated, merchants will immediately be able to accept payments via MB WAY.|
|Demo||This payment method is unavailable on demo environment.|
Merchants can only activate MB WAY on their own from their Viva Wallet account interface. To activate MB WAY, please follow the procedure below:
Sign in to your production Viva Wallet account .
Click on Settings > API Access and scroll down to the MB WAY (Payment Method) section.
Click on the Enable MB WAY as a payment method button:
MB WAY will be activated and a MB WAY ID allocated to you
If you would like to deactivate MB WAY, click on the Disable MB WAY as a payment method button:
Payment method messaging
It is important that the customer is aware of the payment methods you offer via Smart Checkout, as this will increase conversion and average order values. Please see our payment method messaging guide for more details on why and where we would recommend adding this information to your site.
If desired, you can download and use this icon on your site or online store, in order to show customers you offer MB WAY as a payment method:
If you would like to integrate with Viva Wallet, or if you have any queries about our products and solutions, please see our Contact & Support page to see how we can help!