Information on the MB WAY payment method.
- User Experience
- How to activate MB WAY
- Merchant Categories
- Payment method messaging
- Get Support
This payment method will be available soon. Please reach out via our Live Chat feature if you have any questions
MB WAY is a Portuguese interbank network. It is the largest interbank network in Portugal. It allows the customers of 21 participating banks (100% coverage in the Portuguese market) to transfer money. MB NET allows users to make payments through the Internet and it is set up for online shopping. The new method will be available in Card Not Present Transactions (eCommerce), from Smart Checkout Environment.
MB WAY is a payment method where the client inserts his mobile number (registered in MB Way system with an MB Card) and receives a validation message to authorize the payment.
To pay in stores, customers use QR code or NFC contactless functionality.
- Flexibility: There is no need for the users to carry bank cards
- Easy to use: Consumers experience a seamless and secure experience
- Availability: MB WAY is available in a wide range of countries
- Get started quickly: There is no need for the merchant to have an account with MB WAY
At online checkout, the consumer selects MB WAY as the preferred payment method:
Merchants do not need to have an account with MB WAY. Customer must own a Portuguese Bank Account.
- Payment method type: Asynchronous - payments are not confirmed immediately, it may take up to 7 days to receive confirmation of payment. You need to set up webhooks in order to get notified for asynchronous payments
- Refunds: Supports partial and full refunds
- Recurring payments: Not yet supported
- Pre-authorizations: Not yet supported
- Restricted MCC: None
- Μerchant countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain
- Customer countries: Portugal
- Pricing: Please refer to our pricing page in Portugal under the main navigation for more information.
- Settlement: All settlement takes place next day for confirmed payments / successful transactions (i.e. have statusId = F)
- Cross-currency payments: Not yet supported
How to activate MB WAY
Activation of this payment method is instant. Once activated, merchants will immediately be able to accept payments via MB WAY
Merchants can only activate MB WAY on their own from their Viva Wallet account interface. To activate MB WAY, please follow the procedure below:
Sign in to your production Viva Wallet account .
Click on Settings > API Access and scroll down to the MB WAY (Payment Method) section.
Click on the activate MB WAY as a payment method button:
MB WAY will be activated and a MB WAY ID allocated to you
If you would like to deactivate MB WAY, click on the Disable MB WAY as a payment method button:
Currently there are no restrictions for merchants.
Payment method messaging
It is important that the customer is aware of the payment methods you offer via Smart Checkout, as this will increase conversion and average order values. Please see our payment method messaging guide for more details on why and where we would recommend adding this information to your site.
If desired, you can download and use this icon on your site or online store, in order to show customers you offer MB WAY as a payment method:
If you would like to integrate with Viva Wallet, or if you have any queries about our products and solutions, please see our Get Support page to see how we can help!