Information on the MULTIBANCO reference payment method.
- User Experience
- How to activate MULTIBANCO
- Payment method messaging
- Get Support
MULTIBANCO is a Portuguese interbank network. It is the largest interbank network in Portugal. MB NET allows users to make payments through the Internet and it is set up for online shopping.
Some of the main benefits of offering MULTIBANCO reference as a payment method are:
- Flexibility: There is no need for the users to carry bank cards
- Easy to use: Consumers experience a seamless and secure experience
- Availability: MULTIBANCO reference is available in a wide range of countries
- Get started quickly: There is no need for the merchant to have an account with MULTIBANCO reference
At the online checkout, the customer selects MULTIBANCO as their preferred payment method, before filling in their details and clicking Generate reference:
A reference code is then generated, along with instructions on how the customer can pay - either at an ATM or via homebanking (this reference code is also sent to the customer via email):
The customer can then use this reference code to complete the transaction on a Multibanco ATM or Portuguese Banking App.
Merchants do not need to have an account with MULTIBANCO reference
- How to activate: Please refer to the How to activate section below
- Payment method type: Asynchronous - payments are not confirmed immediately, it may take up to 7 days to receive confirmation of payment. You need to set up webhooks in order to get notified for asynchronous payments
- Refunds: Supports partial and full refunds
- Recurring payments: Not yet supported
- Pre-authorizations: Not yet supported
- Restricted MCC: None
- Μerchant countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain
- Customer countries: Portugal
- Pricing: Please refer to our pricing page under the main navigation for more information.
- Settlement: All settlement takes place next day for confirmed payments / successful transactions (i.e. have statusId = F)
- Cross-currency payments: Not yet supported
How to activate MULTIBANCO
Merchants do not need to have an account with MULTIBANCO
|Production||Activation of this payment method is instant. Once activated, merchants will immediately be able to accept payments via MULTIBANCO.|
|Demo||This payment method is unavailable on demo environment.|
Merchants can only activate MULTIBANCO reference on their own from their Viva Wallet account interface. To activate MULTIBANCO reference, please follow the procedure below:
Sign in to your production Viva Wallet account .
Click on Settings > API Access and scroll down to the Multibanco Reference (Payment Method) section.
Click on the Enable Multibanco Reference as a payment method button:
MULTIBANCO will be activated and a MULTIBANCO ID allocated to you
If you would like to deactivate MULTIBANCO, click on the Disable Multibanco Reference as a payment method button:
Payment method messaging
It is important that the customer is aware of the payment methods you offer via Smart Checkout, as this will increase conversion and average order values. Please see our payment method messaging guide for more details on why and where we would recommend adding this information to your site.
If desired, you can download and use this icon on your site or online store, in order to show customers you offer MULTIBANCO as a payment method:
If you would like to integrate with Viva Wallet, or if you have any queries about our products and solutions, please see our Contact & Support page to see how we can help!