Information on the Alipay payment method.
- User Experience
- How to activate Alipay
- Merchant Categories
- Payment method messaging
- Get Support
Alipay allows customers to scan a POS-generated QR code and complete the corresponding payment using the Alipay app on their mobile device.
Some of the main benefits of offering Alipay as a payment method are:
- Ease of use: Customers experience a simple and seamless experience
- Security: Payments are completed safely within the Alipay environment
On the POS terminal, the merchant selects (1) the QR code payment option > (2) the Alipay payment method.
The Alipay QR code (3) is then displayed:
The customer then uses the Alipay app on their mobile device to scan the QR code:
Once the customer has completed the payment on their device, a confirmation message is shown on the POS terminal:
- How to activate: Please refer to the How to activate section below
- Supported POS solutions: Alipay is available on Tap on Phone (including Viva Contactless Terminal powered by Google Play, Viva Contactless Terminal with Professional Scanner powered by Google Play & Viva Contactless / Chip & PIN Terminal powered by Google Play), PAX devices (A80, A910, A920, A920 Pro & IM30) and Prolin devices (Q30)
- Payment method type: Synchronous - payments are confirmed immediately
- Refunds: Supports partial and full refunds
- Recurring payments: Not yet supported
- Pre-authorizations: Not yet supported
- Restricted MCC: Some Merchant Categories - as well as merchants selling certain products - are not eligible to have Alipay activated
- Supported countries: Available in all countries
- Pricing: Please refer to our pricing page under the main navigation for more information
- Settlement: Customer payments are deposited next day into your business account for confirmed payments / successful transactions (i.e. have statusId = F)
- Cross-currency payments: Not yet supported
How to activate Alipay
All merchants are activated by default to accept payments for Alipay, with the exception of certain Merchant Categories.
Alipay activation takes place once per week, so it may take up to 7 days before Alipay is available in your account. No action is required from the merchant side
Please note: Merchants who sell cannabis/CBD products are prohibited from using Alipay
Additionally, there are some merchant categories that are not eligible to have Alipay activated. If your business is in one of these categories, you will not be able to accept payments through Alipay:
|Merchant Category (MCC)
|Airlines, Air Carriers
|Money Orders – Wire Transfer
|Precious Stones and Metals, Watches and Jewelry
|Misc. Food Stores – Convenience Stores and Specialty Markets
|Financial Institutions – Manual Cash Disbursements
|Financial Institutions – Merchandise and Services
|Insurance Sales, Underwriting, and Premiums
|Real Estate Agents and Managers - Rentals
|Tax Preparation Service
|Counseling Service – Debt, Marriage, Personal
|Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circuses, Fortune Tellers
|Charitable and Social Service Organizations
Payment method messaging
It is important that the customer is aware of the payment methods you offer via Smart Checkout, as this will increase conversion and average order values. Please see our payment method messaging guide for more details on why and where we would recommend adding this information to your site.
If desired, you can download and use this icon on your site or online store, in order to show customers you offer Alipay as a payment method:
If you would like to integrate with Viva, or if you have any queries about our products and solutions, please see our Contact & Support page to see how we can help!