Shopify Smart Checkout plugin
Our Shopify Smart Checkout plugin allows you to accept payments to your Shopify store via Viva Wallet.
- Supported currencies: BGN (Bulgarian lev), CZK (Czech koruna), DKK (Danish krone), EUR (Euro), GBP (Pound sterling), HRK (Croatian kuna), HUF (Hungarian forint), PLN (Polish złoty), RON (Romanian leu) & SEK (Swedish krona)
- Pricing: A surcharge of 0.35% is applied on top of the acquiring fee (for the acquiring fee please refer to the pricing page of our website)
- Increased conversion: dynamically shows payment methods most likely to convert
- Customer preferences: remembers past payment behavior and preferences of the customer across merchants and countries
- Saved cards: customer can save cards and use across merchants and countries, without the need for the customer to create an account
- Decline recovery: based on the customer’s past payment behavior, we prompt the customer to re-try a declined payment
- Recurring payments: not supported yet
- Pre-authorizations: not supported yet
- Mobile optimized: offer an optimized browsing experience on any device (mobile, tablet, laptop, or desktop)
- Local languages & currencies: support for 17 languages (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Romanian, Dutch, Greek, Czech, Portuguese, Swedish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Danish, Finnish, and Croatian), and 10 currencies
- Compliance & security: full PCI & SCA/3DS support utilizing SCA exemptions, along with advanced fraud protection using Machine Learning algorithms
- Constantly self-updated: regular self-updates with no coding required from you, to a) offer new payment methods, b) offer new conversion-improving features, and c) comply with all the latest regulatory and security requirements
- Single account: No need to have a separate account for settlement
- Next day settlement: Money from customer payment is available in your Viva Wallet account the next day
- 0% Acceptance fee: Use your Viva Wallet Debit Mastercard to pay for your business expenses and lower your payment acceptance fees up to 0%
- Scalability: Through our reliable and state-of-the-art cloud-based infrastructure, you won’t miss a payment
This plugin uses our Smart Checkout solution. Customers are redirected to the Viva Wallet Smart Checkout payment page to make a payment, and then redirected back to your store. The below image shows how a Smart Checkout payment page displays to your customers:
Supported payment methods
Smart Checkout supports a wide variety of payment methods, including:
- Cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Maestro, Bancontact, JCB, Discover & Diners Club)
- Digital wallets (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal, PayPal Pay Later & Viva Wallet)
- Local payment methods (BitPay, BLIK, EPS, giropay, iDEAL, IRIS, Klarna, MULTIBANCO, P24, Payconiq, PayU, Sofort, Trustly & WeChat Pay)
- Direct Debit & other payment methods (SEPA Direct Debit, Online Banking, Cash (Viva Spot) & e-banking (ΔΙΑΣ/DIAS)
Before you start
Step 1: Create Viva Wallet account
If you do not already have an account with Viva Wallet please create an account.
Step 2: Generate Shopify Credentials
Before doing anything, you need to grab your Viva Wallet Client ID and generate your unique Client Secret, following the below steps.
Sign in to the Viva Wallet banking app and select the required account.
Click on Settings > API Access and scroll down to the Shopify Smart Checkout Credentials (PP) section:
Click on the Generate a pair of credentials button.
A pair of credentials is generated.
Your unique 32-character Client Secret is now displayed in the Client secret field below ClientID:
Make a temporary note of your Client ID and Client Secret for later use.
Step 3: Determine your payment methods
Determine which payment methods you want to offer to your customers.
Some of these payment methods are automatically enabled for you by us (e.g. Apple Pay), other payment methods can only be enabled by yourself (e.g. PayPal), for others you need to get in touch with us to enable them for you after a further review of your business.
PLEASE NOTE: this plugin does not currently support multi-store functionality.
If you need this functionality and you are still using the previous version of the plugin, you should remain on that version for the time being. If you have already upgraded to the current version of the plugin, please follow these steps:
1) Install the plugin on one Shopify store - this will automatically create the Transaction Payment Created and Transaction Failed webhooks in your Viva Wallet account
2) In your Viva Wallet account, navigate to Settings > API Access > Webhooks tab and delete the webhooks mentioned above
3) Proceed to install the plugin on the next Shopify store
4) Repeat the process (steps (2) and (3)) if you have three or more stores
Adding the Shopify Smart Checkout plugin consists of the following steps:
Step 1: Add Viva Wallet plugin to your Shopify store
Please see our video on how to install the Viva Wallet Smart Checkout plugin on your Shopify store
Add the Viva Wallet plugin in your Shopify store following the below steps:
1. Log in to your store as an administrator.
2. Click on Settings in the bottom-left corner of your Shopify home page.
3. Click on Payments at left menu side.
The Shopify Payment providers page is displayed.
4. In the box “Supported payment methods”, select “Add payment methods”.
Select “Search by provider” and start typing “Viva Wallet Smart Checkout”. Select the plugin and then press “Activate”.
Alternatively, copy and paste the URL https://accounts.shopify.com/store-login?redirect=settings%2Fpayments%2Falternative-providers%2F1058083 to your browser address bar, overwriting the existing URL, and hit enter.
The Shopify stores page is displayed. Click on your desired store to display the pre-installation page
5. Shopify displays the following prompt to you. You are asked to consent to the requested scopes and give authorization to install the app.
Select Install app and Shopify will redirect you to the following Configuration page. Here, you must insert the Client ID and Client Secret from your self-care account that you noted from section Generate Shopify Credentials (step 6)” above.
If you wish to use your live Viva Wallet account:
- On the first page, fill in your live Viva Wallet credentials and click Next
- On the second page, click Skip demo credentials
If you wish to use your demo Viva Wallet account:
- On the first page, click Skip live credentials
- On the second page, fill in your demo Viva Wallet credentials and click Next
- On the management page later in the installation process, you will also need to check the Enable test mode checkbox
6. A new field will appear to select a Source Code.
If there is no Source Code with the domain of the store in your Viva Wallet account (‘self-care’), then the Shopify application will automatically create a new one for you.
The format of this will be similar to ‘
SF-0001’, incrementing to ‘
SF-0002’ and so on, with each Shopify installation.
If you have multiple Source Codes, all of these will displayed within the field. Please select the Shopify-related Source Code - as outlined above - to continue.
You can change your brand logo at any time by updating your Shopify Source. To do this, please note the Source Code above and see our adding your brand logo tutorial for a step-by-step guide.
7. When you complete the form select submit.
The application will make the validations needed and it will also create the webhooks in the background.
If everything is valid then application notifies Shopify that is ready to accept payments and Shopify will send you an email that will look like this:
b) In case you get a popup like this:
This can happen for 2 reasons:
i) Your shop does not have a public domain (a public domain is required)
ii) In your self-care account, you have already set up webhooks for Transaction Payment Created and/or Transaction Failed (we can only have one of each webhook type per merchant account).
8. Then you will be directed to the Finish tab. In there you will be notified about the validation of the form and with some guidelines for additional configuration in your source code, if you desire.
9. Select Return to Shopify Admin. You will be redirected to Shopify’s configuration page. Select Activate Viva Wallet.
You will need to select the desired payment methods:
Note that in order to enable certain payment methods, it is not enough to enable them on Shopify, you first need to enable them on your Viva Wallet account.
10. You will receive a notification email like this:
11. The installation process is completed and you can check in your store admin panel in Payments section that the provider selected is Viva Wallet.
Step 2: Set your store currency
One final thing to check is that your Shopify store currency matches that of your Viva Wallet account. For instance, if your Viva Wallet account was set up in the UK, the Viva Wallet account will be in GBP, so you must set the Shopify currency to the same, i.e. GBP in this example. Please see below for instructions on how to change your store currency.
To set your store currency, you should follow the below steps.
1. Click on Settings in the bottom-left corner of your Shopify home page:
2. You may find at the bottom of the pop up the current store currency.
3. Click on the Store currency dropdown menu and choose one of the currencies supported by Viva Wallet (GBP, EUR, BGN, CZK, PLN, RON, DKK).
4. Click on the Save button to make your choice permanent.
If you have any questions about our solutions, or questions about how to integrate with our solutions, please refer to our Get Support page.