WooCommerce Smart Checkout plugin
Our WooCommerce Smart Checkout plugin allows you to accept payments via Viva Wallet Smart Checkout in your WooCommerce store.
- Before you start
- Setup instructions
- Upgrading the plugin
- Get Support
- Supported currencies: BGN (Bulgarian lev), CZK (Czech koruna), DKK (Danish krone), EUR (Euro), GBP (Pound sterling), HRK (Croatian kuna), HUF (Hungarian forint), PLN (Polish złoty), RON (Romanian leu) & SEK (Swedish krona)
- Version of WooCommerce required: 3.0 or later version
- Pricing: There are no additional fees applied on top of the acquiring fee (for the acquiring fee please refer to the pricing page of our website)
- Increased conversion: dynamically shows payment methods most likely to convert
- Customer preferences: remembers past payment behavior and preferences of the customer across merchants and countries
- Saved cards (customer-side): customers can pay using cards they have saved during past purchases, even from other merchants; thus, saved cards are available even to first-time customers. The customer does not need to create an account to save a card or re-use saved cards. New merchants take advantage of the pool of already saved cards across the Viva Wallet ecosystem
- Card tokenization (merchant-side): the merchant can save the card tokens of their customers in the merchant backend, and then use the saved card tokens when the merchant will redirect their customers to Smart Checkout again in the future. The saved card tokens provided by the merchant will then be presented to the customer on Smart Checkout to use and pay with
- Decline recovery: based on the customer’s past payment behavior, we prompt the customer to re-try a declined payment
- Installments: the customer is able to pay via installments, where applicable (available in Greece only)
- Recurring payments: not supported yet
- Pre-authorizations: not supported yet
- Mobile optimized: offer an optimized browsing experience on any device (mobile, tablet, laptop, or desktop)
- Local languages & currencies: support for 17 languages (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Romanian, Dutch, Greek, Czech, Portuguese, Swedish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Danish, Finnish, and Croatian), and 10 currencies
- Cross-border payments: Supported for all payment methods except for local payment methods and Pay By Bank; you can accept payments from international customers for all payment methods except for local payment methods and Pay By Bank
- Cross-currency payments: Not yet supported; your customer can only pay you in the currency of your business account
- Compliance & security: full PCI & SCA/3DS support utilizing SCA exemptions, along with advanced fraud protection using Machine Learning algorithms
- Constantly self-updated: regular self-updates with no coding required from you, to a) offer new payment methods, b) offer new conversion-improving features, and c) comply with all the latest regulatory and security requirements
- Single account: No need to have a separate account for settlement
- Next day settlement: Money from customer payment is available in your Viva Wallet account the next day
- 0% Acceptance fee: Use your Viva Wallet Debit Mastercard to pay for your business expenses and lower your payment acceptance fees up to 0%
- Scalability: Through our reliable and state-of-the-art cloud-based infrastructure, you won’t miss a payment
This plugin uses our Smart Checkout solution. Customers are redirected from your checkout page on your WooCommerce store to Viva Wallet Smart Checkout to pay, and after the customer pays, they are redirected automatically back to your WooCommerce store.
The below images show:
a) a demo checkout page on WooCommerce, and
b) a demo Viva Wallet Smart Checkout:
Supported payment methods
Smart Checkout supports a wide variety of payment methods, including:
- Cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Maestro, Bancontact, JCB, Discover & Diners Club)
- Digital wallets (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal, PayPal Pay Later & Viva Wallet)
- Local payment methods (Bancontact QR, BitPay, BLIK, EPS, giropay, iDEAL, IRIS, Klarna, MULTIBANCO, P24, Payconiq, PayU, Sofort, tbi bank, Trustly & WeChat Pay)
- Direct Debit & other payment methods (SEPA Direct Debit, Pay By Bank, Cash (Viva Spot) & e-banking (ΔΙΑΣ/DIAS))
Please see our Payment Methods page for further information on all of our payment methods
Cross-border payments: You can accept payments from international customers for all payment methods except for local payment methods and Pay By Bank
Before you start
Step 1: Create Viva Wallet account
If you do not already have an account with Viva Wallet please create an account.
Step 2: Find account credentials
- Log in to Viva Wallet, demo or live , and select the required account.
- Go to Settings > API Access and find your Merchant ID and API Key:
- Note these values for future use
Step 3: Create Payment Source
Please refer to this page for instructions on adding a new Payment Source in the Viva Wallet banking app.
You will need to use the WooCommerce-specific Success & Failure URLs, as specified at the bottom of the above Payment Source creation page.
Add your brand logo
We would highly recommend you show your company logo on your payment pages in order to increase customer recognition and trust, thus improving conversion. You can insert your company logo while creating the payment source as outlined above.
You can also change or update this logo at any time. To do this, please see our adding your brand logo tutorial for a step-by-step guide.
Step 4: Determine your payment methods
Determine which payment methods you want to offer to your customers.
Some of these payment methods are automatically enabled for you by us (e.g. Apple Pay), other payment methods can only be enabled by yourself (e.g. PayPal), for others you need to get in touch with us to enable them for you after a further review of your business.
Adding the WooCommerce Smart Checkout plugin consists of the following steps.
Step 1: Add Viva Wallet Smart Checkout plugin to your WooCommerce store
Please see our video on how to install the Viva Wallet Smart Checkout plugin on your WooCommerce store
Download the WooCommerce Smart Checkout plugin (ZIP file) to your device.
Log into your WooCommerce (Wordpress) account and navigate to Plugins > Add New:
Click on the Upload Plugin button at the top of the screen:
In the pop-up window, click choose file, browse to the ZIP file you downloaded in Step 1 and upload this file
Click on the Choose button then Install Now. Wordpress will install the plugin in the background
Once installed, click on the Activate Plugin button. The plugin will be displayed at the bottom of the plugins page
Choose Settings from the WooCommerce menu in the left navigation
Click on the Payments tab at the top of the page to display the WooCommerce Payment Methods list
Ensure that the Vivawallet toggle is enabled and click on the Manage button next to the Vivawallet entry at the bottom of the list:
A Viva Wallet-specific settings page will be displayed. Please fill out the fields as follows:
Enable/Disable: Check this box to enable the plugin
Title: Enter the title to display to customers on the Checkout screen. For example “Viva Wallet Smart Checkout”
Description: Enter the description to display to customers on the Checkout screen. For example “Make a fully secure payment”
Merchant ID: Enter the Merchant ID you noted in Step 2: Find Account credentials
API Key: Enter the API Key you noted in Step 2: Find Account credentials
Source Code: Enter the Source Code of the Source you created in Step 3: Create Payment Source
Installments: This is an optional field, only applicable to Greek merchants – you can set the maximum allowed payment card installments and their corresponding order values
Test mode: When checked, the plugin will connect to the Viva Wallet demo environment. In that case, use the credentials from your demo account. When unchecked, use the credentials from your live account
Order status: Choose what to set your order status to, within WooCommerce, when the payment is successful
When complete, click on the Save changes button at the bottom of the screen and the Viva Wallet payment option will be available in your checkout
An example of how the Title and the Description are displayed on the checkout page
Step 2: Set webhook
In order to receive notifications when a payment is successful, you will need to set a Transaction Payment Created webhook. Please see our setup guide for the creation of this webhook.
Within the URL field of the webhook, you will need to use the following format, replacing ‘www.yourdomain.com’ with the domain of your WooCommerce store:
Upgrading the plugin
Keeping the plugin up to date help improve user experience with the addition of new features as well as improvement of existing features.
Auto-update feature is one way to update the plugin with no effort required from you. To be able to activate auto-updates,
Log in to your Wordpress admin panel, go to Plugins page and search for Viva Wallet Smart Checkout.
Click Enable auto-updates link to automatically upgrade the plugin in the future.
To update the WooCommerce Smart Checkout plugin, log in to your Wordpress admin panel, go to Plugins page and search for Viva Wallet Smart Checkout.
If Update Now link is visible, click it to upgrade the plugin.
Go to Payments tab under WooCommerce settings and Click Manage button to check and verify your plugin settings.
If you would like to integrate with Viva Wallet, or if you have any queries about our products and solutions, please see our Get Support page to see how we can help!